Opole attractions

Museum & Gallery

The Museum of the Opolian Silesia

In modern rooms of the museum, you can see the permanent and temporary exhibitions. History of Opole, Castle in Ostrówek, crafts, literature and the post-war Opole are just some of attractions. Particularly commendable is the mansion, where you can visit 5 apartments in the recreated interior of townsmen in the years 1890 – 1960 and see how Opolan once lived.

The main museum building located at ul. Wojciecha 9 and 13

Museum of Rural Architecture

The Opole Open-Air Museum of Rural Architecture is the only open-air museum located in the Opole Voivodeship, and one of only four such museums located within the historical boundaries of Silesia.  During its almost 50 years of existence the Museum has amassed a rich collection of historic wooden architecture from the Opolan Silesia region, which – in connection with the Museum’s wide array of attractions, such as outdoor events, exhibitions, competitions, and shows – makes it one of the region’s most unique attractions.  Proof of this can be found in the tens of thousands of people who visit the Museum each year, as well as the many words of appreciation and positive opinions expressed, as well as by the recognition of experts engaged in historic preservation and the documentation and popularization of folk culture. Ul. Wrocławska 174

The Contemporary Art Gallery

The origins of The Opole Contemporary Art Gallery can be traced back to 1958, when The Bureau of Artistic Exhibitions was founded in Opole. With the course of time, the institution changed its name into the current form and continues the work of its predecessor. The Gallery’s headquarters are located in Theatre Square 12. The Opole Contemporary Art Gallery is a non-commercial government-funded cultural institution. The main aim of the Gallery is to present and promote the contemporary art and foster the artistic development of the society. Therefore, the gallery’s activities include the organisation of exhibitions, producing a variety of publications, and offering a number of artistic education programmes. Pl. Teatralny 2

Ancient Monuments

The Holy Trinity Church called the Franciscan Church – with the tombs of the Opole Princes

A Gothic church, with early Gothic, late Renaissance and baroque elements. A hall, three-aisled church, surrounded with five chapels, the oldest one of which is the chapel of St. Anne dating from 1309, restored to the function of a Piast mausoleum in the years 1952-1959. Its interior was redecorated in the baroque style in the 17th and 18th centuries. A tower was added in 1899. In the crypt under the presbytery there are coffins of the Opole princes and the oldest Gothic polychromy with the Crucifixion group dating back to the third decade of the 14th century. The Franciscan monastery adjoins the church.
Pl. Wolności 2

Cathedral of St. Cross

The origins of this temple reach the eleventh century. In the year 1024, the Bishop of Wrocław gave to the new Church in Opole relics of the Holy Cross, which he received as a gift from the Holy Emeric Then, the city changed its emblem: the eagle was added to half of the Piast cross. At the beginning of the thirteenth century, the chapter was established and became the church of the Holy Cross the collegiate church In the years 1899-1900 Opole known builder Joseph Cimbollek on the medieval thick walls of the temple raised two very tall and slender towers, the ones that last to today.

Piast Tower – Piast Castle

The tower, called the Piast, which leads to the top of 163 steps, is the only remnant of Piast Castle, the ancestral line Piast Opole, prevailing on our land in the years 1228-1532. She was once a watch-tower on the island Pasieka. The tower is one of the oldest monuments of defensive architecture in Poland. From the Piast Tower there is a beautiful view of the city. Ul. Piastowska 14

Market Square

Preserved medieval shape, typical of contemporary cities of the region. Tower built in 1864 by architect Albrecht, the same man who designed the post office building near the train station. New, huge, up to 60 meters of the tower gave shape by then prevailing architectural fashion historicist style, with reference to the Florentine Gothic, and probably took a model Florentine Palazzo Vecchio, the town hall. City Hall is surrounded by medieval houses rebuilt after the war, in the shape of the Baroque. The market is also the Walk of Polish Song, place of numerous concerts, exhibitions outdoor and other cultural events.

Hospital Street (Ul. Szpitalna)

The oldest street in the city and at the same time very charming. In the Middle Ages on this street were located mostly mills, slaughterhouses and baths. Today it is the headquarter, among others, of the TVP Opole, which occupies building of the former Jewish synagogue.

Opole Venice

Historic houses in Młynówka bathing irresistibly evoke associations of the Italian city. Province of Opole Venice is built on the foundations of old walls defense. Once on the shore of the harbor Młynówka were places of transshipment, warehousing and bonded goods. It is here located most of the businesses and municipal facilities. First of all mills, which in fact gave the name of the old riverbed Oder – Młynówka. The place is unique, both in daytime and at night, highlighted with subtle illuminations. Best seen from the street Piastowska.

One Penny- “Green Bridge”

Walking bridge for pedestrians on Młynówka already existed in 1894. Two-span bridge was built in 1903. The name was given to him from the charges collected here (one penny) for crossing. Fees fetch collector, had a cottage beside bridge which was called Swiss Cottage, which is now famous pancake Grabówka. Ul. Mozarta

Castle Bridge – „Yellow Bridge”

Built in the first half of nineteenth century, led from the market to the castle. Ul. Zamkowa

The fountain in the Pl. Daszyńskiego

Assumption of a large green square surrounded by dense residential buildings had the character clearly recreational. For decades, even after the war, there was a peaceful place. These squares, small rest area in a dense urban area, formed a strong urbanization during the nineteenth century. Secession fountain is the work of sculptor Edmund Gomansky. Sculpture shows the fertility goddess Ceres (Greek Demeter), surrounded by daughters Prosperin (gr.Persephone), a fisherman and Skalnik.

Defense walls

Defense Walls were built during the reign of Duke Boleslaw I, 1285 year. They surrounded the area of today’s Old Town. Towers were built to strengthen the function of defensive walls. Wolf Tower rose by Market “Sukienniczy”, Small Market today. Its remnants are visible to this day in the courtyard of the Monastery of the Sisters of De Notre Dame at the Little Market. Currently, the walls can be seen in fragments.

Upper Castle

The second of the royal castles, located on the opposite, eastern shore Młynówka, in those days, which is the main channel of the Oder. The oldest mention of his subject is from the years 1387 and 1392. It was built on the highest point of tracking, the so called The hill. For this matter was referred to as the Upper Castle, to distinguish them from the older Lower Castle, situated in the valley of the Oder. All that remains today is the Upper Castle Gothic. This tower is partially immersed in a later complex of school buildings (currently the School of Mechanical). In the eastern elevation of the tower, at the height of the first floor overground, in a deep niche, there is embedded stone, ogival portal gate of the former, with two quarter-deflector, which is currently framing the windows. Preserved tower to this day was originally a castle tower in the character of gate tower. The entrance to it ran across the bridge slung over extending moat at the foot of the tower. Ul. Osmanczyka

Opole captivates with greenery and nature

Castle pond

Castle Pondon on the Barlickiego street with a large casing fountain was created in the nineteenth century from the old moat castle. Next to the pond in 1909, was built Ice Cottage from the initiative of the Society of figure skating. Commonly referred to as “Barlickiego Pond” is one of the favorite destinations.

Młynówka Promenade

Stretching along the old riverbed of the Oder promenade is a fantastic place for a walk. In the city center, combined yellow and Green bridge of Market and Apiaries. ul. Piastowska

Karol Musioł Boulevard and Odra River Park

Walking alleys and bicycle router, a playground for children, new benches and small architecture elements, such as the outdoor scenery and a climbing wall make it a perfect location for relaxation of recreation amongst the rich greenery. It is possible to ride a bicycle or rollerblades on the Karol Musioł Boulevard along the Odra River.

Bolko Island

A popular city park. On the Island, until the beginning of the twentieth century there were several fields and dense forest. On the 27 October 1910 Opole councilors decided to create a public park there. So they grubbed up most of the forest, and left the most magnificent oaks (including Oak Piast circumference 410 cm and age of 400 years), beech and hornbeam Planted a lot of new bushes and trees, laid out avenues and terraces. In the 30s Twentieth century created zoo.


Zoo Opole is a green oasis of peace and relaxation which is in the center of old trees. As a small zoo was established in the 30’s. In his nearly 80 years of history it was reborn from the devastation twice. In 1953, after World War II and in 1998, a year after the floods that hit the region. Zoo covers an area of ​​20 hectares, cultivated more than 1,000 animals representing about 200 species. ul. Spacerowa 10

Music in Opole

Millennium Amphitheatre in Opole

Opole Amphitheatre is an initiative of Opole President Karol Musioł. Designed by Florian Jesionowskiego became one of the known symbols of the city. Since June 1963, apart from 1982, every year there is a National Song Festival. The auditorium has 5,000 seats. In the amphitheater works the National Polish Music Center and the Museum of Polish Song. Amphitheater was built on the site of the oldest Slavic settlement in Opole, where were carried out for many years, excavation research, which resulted in the discovery well-preserved wooden buildings and wooden structures. In accordance with the demands of archaeologists in this place was going to arise the museum, which were supposed to be presented the oldest building preserved remains of Opole. In the spring of 2011, the modernization of the facility was completed. Object associated with the history of the Polish music, thanks to restructuring, became a place where you can organize the most complex in terms of staging, project. In the future, along with the emerging Museum of Polish Song has a chance to become the most recognizable symbol of the region, is likely to attract the interest of tourists and music lovers from home and abroad. ul. Piastowska 14

Opole Philharmonic

The history of the Opole Philharmonic reaches back from 1945/1947, when it was Little Symphony Orchestra. As the National Symphony Orchestra. Elsner has been operating since June 1969. During all the years of its existence Philharmonic has hosted a number of world-renowned conductors, composers and soloists. Since 1960, the Orchestra regularly participates in prestigious cultural events in Poland and abroad. Since 1999, under the direction of Maestro Boguslaw David, Symphony Orchestra Opole Philharmonic, continues to work with outstanding artists, winners of the international piano competitions, violin, as well as noted its presence in the world and has gained the reputation of the orchestra, which performs concerts the highest artistic level. In the Philharmonic also works Opole Philharmonic Choir and Boys’ Choir. Ul. Krakowska 24

Nearby attractions

JuraPark Krasiejów

In Krasiejów since 1993 there are conducted the biggest (next to the excavations in Lipie Silesia) in Poland paleontological excavations. Within the Upper Triassic rocks in the two decks encountered massive accumulation of large fragments of skeletons of lake and land vertebrates before about 230 million years ago. JuraPark Krasiejów was opened on 1 June 2010. JuraPark Krasiejów includes, in addition to the leisure and catering, exhibition models, life-size dinosaurs of the Mesozoic, time tunnel and 5D cinema, displaying a movie about dinosaurs and the Cretaceous destruction. Krasiejow, ul. 1 Maja 10

Palace in Moszna

The castle in Moszna is one of the best known monuments in the western part of Upper Silesia. The history of this building begins in the half of the 17th century, although old cellars were found in the gardens during excavations which were carried out at the beginning of the 20th century. Some of the investigators, including H. Barthel, claimed that those cellars could have been remnants of a presumed Templar castle, but their theory has never been proved true. After World War II, further excavations discovered a medieval palisade. Apart from the castle itself, the entire complex includes a park which has no precised boundaries and combines with the nearby fields, meadows and a forest. Moszna ul. Zamkowa 1, Zielina

Kamień Śląski

Kamień Śląski is a village in the administrative district of Commune Gogolin, within Krapkowice County, Opole Voivodeship, in south-western Poland. It lies approximately 9 kilometres north-east of Gogolin, 13 km north-east of Krapkowice, and 17 km south-east of the regional capital Opole. Before 1945 the area was part of Germany. The village has a population of 1,500. Kamien Slaski is a village situated near Opole. It is well-known and eagerly visited not only by the inhabitants of Silesia, but also by numerous guests from all over the world. Palace and park complex in Kamien Slaski, ul. Parkowa 1a, Kamien Slaski

Mała Panew

The Mała Panew  is a river in south-western Poland, Silesian and Opole Voivodeships. It is a right tributary of the Oder, merging with the Oder near the village of Czarnowąsy near Opole. The length of the Mała Panew is 132 km; the area of the watershed is 2132 km2. Wild, but safe for tourists. Quiet and surprising at the same time.

Góra Świętej Anny

Góra Świętej Anny- St. Anne’s hill is aninselberg in Upper Silesia, Poland, in the community of the same name. It is a strategic and cultural location that has been important to both German and Polish nationalists. It is the location of the Franciscan Monastery of St. Anne, whose chapel is an important destination for Roman Catholic pilgrimage; in 1921 it was the site of the Battle of Annaberg, which was commemorated in the Third Reich by the construction of a Thingstätte (open-air theatre) and a mausoleum. The theatre remains, but with the restoration of Polish rule, the Nazi mausoleum was destroyed, and it was replaced in 1955 with a monument to those who took part in the Polish Silesian uprising.

Comments are closed.